I feel the need to update on my weekend project. I want to claim that I did not specify WHAT weekend.
Ego aside, I did play with the fuse box and discover there is not a switch specifically for the dining room. Main breaker switch it is ... I guess that is the safest way to go. But I needed the electricity for the time being. My assistant claims one needs more voltage then 140 to cause serious injury / death.
I turn off the light switch. Unscrew the old chandelier to investigate the wiring and hole and metal plate. All looks copasetic and doable. My assistant holds the fairly heavy lighting fixture, that would otherwise dangle from the wires. Its fairly heavy, anything is when you hold it with your hand raised above your head. I do a little more poking around.
Decide the new light fixture instructions need a more thorough reading. Try to screw light back on to metal plate. Can't get screw back in ... its very awkward up there near the ceiling, with a fixture blocking the view of the screw hole. Get my assistant to find and pass me the hemp rope. I loop the rope around the metal plate and the light. Tie it. Do it again, for added security. Make a mental note to check hemp rope, daily.
Light sort of back in place, I decide that was enough for Saturday.
On Sunday, renewed, I took some time to thoroughly read the new light fixture instructions. Google subject a bit and prepare to finish the task.
There was one minor snag, two wires coming out of ceiling. Three wires on new light fixture. There is no ground wire. But it's standard, I learn, to wire this around a green screw (which was provided). No biggie.
Feeling confident after reading the instructions and seeing the insides of the old fixture. And the wiring. And the encouraging google links. All is coming together nicely.
Except for two things.
Electrical Tape. That was showstopper. I do not have this, and I do not think substituting duct tape or wrapping tape would do.
So I add it to a list. A list that will not get further then pencil and paper. I also add voltage tester. That tool ought to be useful.
We are all sick right now. Stuffy and runny nose. Really sore throat. Puffy eyes and low energy. I wasn't running any errands. Instead I revisited the pleasure of watching a movie in the middle of the day. On my bed. With everyone.
Before posting here, I wrote an email to my Contract-Her. She is coming this weekend to gut my kitchen. And we are leaving on a jet plane to visit a friend on the west coast. I wanted to discuss some finer points of the gutting project. And as the final point I have asked her how much she charges for this kind of electrical work. I know a few Canadians who would happily do this for a case of beer. Maybe she would like a bottle of Baileys?
But I couldn't hit send. Ego back intact.
Another 100 year old house renovation
Like Autumn temperatures dropping, my backyard project winds down and my attention and efforts return indoors. Besides the 1 cubic yard of l...
I may have, *almost*, made a very, very important decorating decision! Yep, headline news, at least in blog world. Floor tile for the kitc...
I have bought my share of curtains and rods for my other apartments and homes. I may, in fact, have a thing for curtains now that I think of...
A long time ago I pinned a lacy, patch curtain and started to envision trips to exotic flea markets and antique shows, collecting vari...
My work computer quietly died last week. I came to work one morning and the thing would not light up. I knew it was coming to its end, but i...