Monday, February 14, 2011

If I had a hammer...

it would be a sledge hammer.

In preparation for the demo, I imagined Extreme House Makeover. The first season, that is, before the show got all acty and too focused on the people they were helping (a little insensitive of me, non). Less focused on demo'ing. My son and I loved watching the demo part. Both of us quietly imagining sledging a wall down. I am sure my kitchen demo will not be as free trashing or thrashing BUT I decided I should have a sledge hammer in my tool kit.

Tool kit has gotten over crowded the past year ... couldn't toss, but didn't know where else to put the vintage faucets that were laying around the house when I moved in. Took kit seemed like a natural home. A few too many Allen keys, thank you IKEA.  A silver tin filled with drywall type plastic holders and screws but now that I FINALLY successfully used a couple last week, I should keep those. A fabric stapler used once but MAY use again, sometime in my life. A pair of goggles that I rarely use, but as soon as I re-home them, I'll find myself in dire need of eye protection....so things will remain put for the time being.

With that in mind there are a few intentional and worthy tools that I do need to get...

Sledge hammer. Everyone needs a sledge hammer, if not to use, at least to be able to say SLEDGE. Best word ever.

Sander. The small hand held sander. I keep looking and some of my wooden varnished dressers. Or cat scratches that may be easily fixed with the passing of a motorized hand held sander. I could do a lot with that tool.

Pry bar. There is a lot of prying that can be done around here. Who knows what lays under layers of old kitchen floor. Pry off a window frame. You name it, pop it off.

Axe. The cord of wood I bought in the fall....yeah, half sized chunks of wood that need splitting ... ah but a pry bar and sledge hammer may do the job!

Those are the tools I need. My most loved and versatile tool I have is my wallpaper scraper. That is what I bought it for when I lived in my first purchased home. Scrapped off the bathroom wallpaper, which was actually quite pretty but old and falling off. And then I kept on using the scraper. Held in corners and edges in awkward tight spots while I was painting and cutting. De-caulking the bathtub. Its my go to tool.


What is your go to tool?

tidbit. One of my memorable campfire songs...If I had a hammer, I'd tell you what I'd do...I'd hammer in the morning ... all over this land. And when I was a camper, I could bellow those high notes like no other.
If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

If I had a bell
I'd ring it in the morning
I'd ring it in the evening
All over this land
I'd ring out danger
I'd ring out a warning
I'd ring out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

If I had a song
I'd sing it in the morning
I'd sing it in the evening
All over this land
I'd sing out danger
I'd sing out a warning
I'd sing out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

Well I've got a hammer
And I've got a bell
And I've got a song to sing
All over this land
It's the hammer of justice
It's the bell of freedom
It's the song about love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

©1958, 1962 (renewed), 1986 (renewed)
TRO-Ludlow Music, Inc. (BMI)
http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/hammer-song.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another 100 year old house renovation

Popular Posts