Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kitchen floor tile

I may have, *almost*, made a very, very important decorating decision!  Yep, headline news, at least in blog world.  Floor tile for the kitchen AND the vestibule.

I had been considering some kind of rock for the kitchen. Perhaps slate.  Actually, previous to the slate idea, I was certain I would have Mexican terra cotta tiles. This is what I grew up with and I love my moms kitchen floor. BUT then I discovered "Scandi decor" and have been drawn to it ever since.  While researching kitchen inspiration I seemed to pin a lot of kitchens with black floors.  Natural textured it had to be; slate seemed perfect.

But there were a few considerations I have to work through with my contract-Her; mostly whether my kitchen can sustain the weight of slate. And the thickness of slate set beside the joining rooms.

Then one day I went to a museum and used their restroom facilities. I was completely taken with the small squared black tile floor. Huge space, little black ceramic tiles, maybe 2"x2", with dark gray or black grout. I really liked the look of it.


And THEN, this past weekend, we were visiting my parents to celebrate Canada's Thanksgiving weekend. My mom and I went to Home Depot (she is finishing her bathroom reno) and I was browsing the tiles when I stumbled across Thee Perfect Solution.

CityScape - Carbon
"Cityscape is a contemporary stone-look series that creates a sophisticated feel for any room."


I am not necessarily aiming for contemporary, but stone-look, yes. And a natural footsy feel, definitely. At a mere $2.49 / sq ft. Compared to a possibility: Daltile 12 in. x 12 in. Brazil Black Slate Floor and Wall Tile $28.26 / sq. ft
(I haven't done any price research on slate as of yet, but these are today's prices on one companys' website)

I also like the Cityscape Mosaic for the vestibule. This small rectangle is what first caught my attention in tile section of H. D..  Oddly, the small rectangle tile does not appear to be available on the American website, which is where I am.

4 comments:

  1. If you're thinking about slate, it's not all that expensive. I got mine on sale for something like 2.79$/sq.ft. But it can be a really challenge to install (if you're doing it yourself). I did my bathroom myself (my first tiling job) and it went quite well. See: http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af308/clockmaker15/HOUSE/P5139528.jpg

    The "fake" tiles might be easier to clean than natural slate especially for the kitchen. So that's another thing to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! Good to hear a real price on slate. Off to check out your pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love dark floors. It's kind of hard to see the texture on my computer screen, but I can imagine it. I think it would look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tile floors look great for your kitchen. Seeing how they're dark colored it'd make them easier to clean as well.

    ReplyDelete

Another 100 year old house renovation

Popular Posts